Maths at Geoffrey Field Infant School
We want all children to:
- believe that they can achieve well at mathematics and welcome the challenge to do so
- develop a fascination for numbers and spatial awareness
- become fluent and confident mathematicians
- explain their mathematical thinking clearly
- solve problems by reasoning
- apply their mathematical skills in a wide range of situations
- transfer to the next stage of their education having achieved age related goals so that they can be successful in their future lives
At Geoffrey Field Infant School, we have adopted a Maths Mastery Approach and follow aspects of the Maths No Problem scheme. Children are encouraged to develop fluency, reasoning and problem solving skills through a concrete pictorial approach (CPA). In lessons, children in Year 1 and Year 2 use Maths No Problem textbooks and workbooks. They also use concrete resources to ensure a depth of understanding. This scheme was created following considerable research into the way maths is taught in Singapore. Within lessons children are expected to work collaboratively with each other and communicate their thinking. The skills involved in explaining and reasoning are developed n a daily basis. Children are expected to explain and reason using complete sentences eg ‘I know …… because….’ Whilst this scheme is aimed at Year 1 and Year 2 the principles which underpin this approach are applied to our teaching of maths in Nursery and Reception.
If a child has mastered a mathematical concept then they will be able to:
- describe it in their own words
- represent it in different ways
- explain it to someone else
- see connections with other facts and concepts
- recognise it in new situations
- understand why and how
At Geoffrey Field Infant school we know that all pupils are capable of understanding mathematics given sufficient time, high quality teaching and access to a range of resources.
We now have Maths No Problem Parent Videos available for you to view.